Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Gimlet Afternoon

The Vega Wagon was responsible for so many adventures but the summer of 1977 my first on the Cape the Vega really went through some nights.I began to think the car was just indestructable.One of the first fun nights happened after my friend Tom G. who now lives in Webster and I picked up a quart of Gin after the beach one afternoon.We went to Babes Restaurant where we worked and sat outside with Dirty Pierre the Chef/Baker/Liveinboyfriend of the owner.The three of us polished off the gin by drinking Gimlets just Gin and Limejuice.As I recall Pierre had one ,two at most.Tom and I had a good buzz on by this time and drove back to the campground where Larry and some of the Cape gang were hanging out in our room.We had a few beers there and decided to head to P-Town and the Surf Club.Larry and a few others left before I did in a 65 Vista Cruiser called"The Ouch Mobile" for that was the word painted on dents on the car.Tom G. rode shotgun with me and I decided we needed to catch up to the other guys.It's about six miles to PTown from where we were and route 6 at that point is four lanes of undivided highway two lanes each North/South.I caught the "Ouch" mobile and passed them going around 80 which was about top speed for the vega.Bruce who was driving ouch exclaimed"Man,your brother is fucked up" and indeed I was as I only recall bits and pieces.The rest was told to me next day.Anyhoo once we passed them I slowed down to around 60 but decided we needed to head North to P-Town in the far left lane which was a Southbound lane.I am told a few cars heading south passed us on the right horns blowing,me flipping them the bird.By the time we reached the P-Town turn I was back in the correct lane but then did a left on red towards town and as we rounded the two lane curve by the A&P in Ptown my friend Tom tells me people walking were diving into bushes on the side of the road.Making it finally onto Commercial Street I started jumping on the gas and hitting the brakes.A cop noticed this and I explained to him I had just gotten the car out the shop and was testing the brakes.He told us he better not see us come by again and we pulled into the wharf parking lot.I don't recall even going in The Surfclub and am quite sure it was Tom G. who drove the vega back to North Truro.That first summer on the Cape was fun but hard on the braincells and the Vega Wagon!

No comments: