Monday, March 19, 2007

Rochester Americans

I see the Amerks are stumbling down the stretch this year.I went to Amerk games off and on growing up but it wasn't until the 74-75 or 75-76 season I went to a lot of games.Marty McGowan had season seats and somehow I wound up going to games on a regular basis with him.Marty was an avid fan and had some great lines for Amerks and opposing players alike.Ray Maluta for the Amerks was one of Martys best targets with the great line of"Hit em with your purse Maluta" and"There's a bus leaving for Providence at midnight,be under it" I'll never forget though the playoff series two straight years with The Nova Scotia Voyageurs who were the Montreal Canadiens farm team and a thug they had by the name of Gilles Lupien.This guy had 316 penalty minutes his rookie year when hockey was still played by real men and he had the build of Randy Johnson.Big Bird became his moniker and I have never seen such fun invective hurled at a player by Amerk Fans.I had a great time with Marty at those old time hockey games.

No comments: